CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 14, 2008

My Spurs that Jingle Jangle

So many years ago (like five years ago), I pulled out my cool looking jingle spurs out in our Shiprock home. They were black and silver with spades/clover inlays. The Rowel was brass and the jingles were silver. They were so cool looking to me. Anyway, I got my gal all saddled up... she looked real pretty with the shining concho outfit, the saddle, the breastcollar, the headstall, the tie down, the reins, you know.. the works. My pardner on the other hand sighs at me and quiet disgusted with me about wanting to look 'cool' in front of my rez neighbors.

I stroll, loving that jingle noise (ching cling ching cling), kinda give them an extra stomp to make me sound heavier and meaning business. I could envision myself in a Saloon. (Cling cling cling) Across the room and yell for a cold mug of beer, light my stogie, and prop my boots on the bar. Those spurs would be shining so bright, lighting up the whole bar.... well back to reality. I hop on my horse, shake my boots again to hear it jingle.. (I smile to my satisfaction). Off we went, I could hear my pardner snicker something, but I didn't care.. we rode in silence mostly, every now and then we'd make small conversation.

We rode all the way up to the nearest turn off (Red Valley, AZ), and every so often I would shake my boots just to hear my jingles cling into action. Everytime when a passing vehicle would honk, I would think my jingle was attracting all the attention to us, whether it's true or not, but in my mind the dang things was HOT looking and very noticeable.

On the way back, knowing the horses are bored silly prodding along the lonely road my pardner sez to me "Hey! (Snaps me back to reality) let's race to the second turn off." Knowing I love to race, I nod at him like I was bad to the bone. He gives his gelding a HEYP!! My girl knows it's a race and hauls up (bunching up her hind quarters) and takes off. I can feel all her back end working like it should. I can feel her shifting gears. Her nose stuck out, and I let the reins go, after all, my only job was to keep us balanced and make sure my footings were right, the rest is her job. We were up two horse length and I was dang proud of my girl.

On the small second hill, I was all gong-ho about this race, and my pardner was still wayyy back there.. I had it, I was gonna win this like nothing!! Heck, me and my jingle spurs.. we got it, dang right we were gonna win. SHhhhh wosh!! SLAP!! A big black hefty bag (Prolly Glad too) slap into the power pole. My girl, she freaked out. She screeched to a stop, and hopped to the right, all in a seconds time. I felt myself go forward, I was still going straight, she on the other hand was beside me. Uh oh, I thought. 'Here I go' is all I thought in my mind, but not if I can help it. I grabbed the reins, well that was no help, because my reins were split and long. So I desperately grabbed for the mane as quickly as possible. Well, dang thing ain't worth nada if you put Mane-n-Tail Shine On on it, they slipped right through my fingers like silk. By now, I am right under her nose. I grabbed the headstall but I knew that would rip right off of her (ha ha ha with my weight), so I reached for the reins again this time closer to the bit. I can feel her slowing down. THIS IS WHEN I noticed my right jingle spur was caught up in the back cinch!!! When she was closer to stopping I tried to scoot myself back up, but I was too far hanging down. Finally my girl stopped, she just looked at me with her beautiful black eyes and long eyelashes like "Whatcha doin'??" Her eyes blinking so innocently.. yah right.. I thought.

In the meantime, my pardner, he was laughing so hard he had rolled off his horse and doubled over. yah yah yah.. When he was finished with his first belly cramping laugh he looked in my direction and I sez to him "Shooot Dude, help me out here? Don't be in such a hurry now." He didn't know if he should keep laughing abit more or to really help.

Needless to say he had so much fun that day, mimicking me, reliving everything I did in those last few seconds. And he would show me like how I was plucking at her mane...Yeah, yeah yah.. ha ha ha, I sez.. And yahhh.. that was the last time I wore those jingle spurs.